Friday, December 19, 2008

What's Your Favorite?


Okay. I figure with all the rush and bustle of Christmas, we could use something that is a little lighter in fare...so I decided to do a tag. What are your favorite 5 Christmas stories/movies? Or perhaps, your 5 favorite authors? I love Christmas stories and try to buy a new book every year. Last year I think I bought two...

So here's my list:

1. The Christmas Carol. I find the book hard reading, but I LOVE the movie versions. There are several that we have, The Muppet Christmas Carol, The Christmas Carol with George C. Scott, and the Disney version. What I find interesting is how closely they usually follow the book...that' s good writing.

2. The Polar Express. This is one that I haven't read yet, but I love the movie. Actually, I'm torn -- I love the idea at the end, that you have to believe in something for it to work for you, much as faith in Jesus Christ starts with a desire to believe...But I don't like the whole Santa Clause bit. I'm not a big Santa fan, and you won't find a whole lot of it in my house. It's too commercial for me. I love the music too...it's wonderful.

3. While You Were Sleeping isn't a book, but it's one of my favorite Christmas movies. Many people wouldn't think of it that way, but it starts Christmas day...and Sandra Bullock is my favorite actress.

4. The Christmas Box. I really like the way Richard Paul Evan's writes. I think he's only gotten better with each book. I haven't read Grace yet, but I'm hoping to pick it up this year. I read the Christmas Box every year, and I love the feeling I get from it. Although, I have to admit the older woman's grief disturbs me, I wonder if I would wail like that should one of my children die.

5. Return to Christmas. Chris Heimerdinger is another one of my favorite authors. If you haven't read Return to Zarahemla yet, you might want to -- and the movie is excellent. Anyway, Return to Christmas is about a young boy and his twin, but there's a twist, and how he brings it together is just wonderful and heart touching. It was especially fun when we first read it because he wrote it about our neighborhood where we used to live in Salt Lake -- we could really relate.

So, I'll tag a couple of my fellow bloggers -- and then I tag you readers. Let us know what your favorites are!

Tag:

Nichole
Keith
Connie

No comments: