Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Winter Blues

By C. LaRene Hall

Want to get rid of those winter blues. I do. I have to tell everyone how excited I am that it’s that time of year for some writing conferences. I can hardly wait for the day I’ll finally be learning something new and maybe relearning some things that I’ve forgotten. The winter gets long and drab without this sort of thing going on. I’ll get to see some of my old friends, and meet new people that’ll help me with my writing.

Later this month at the BYU Wilkinson Center, there will be the LTUE three-day conference. Last year the discussions were great. I enjoyed the speakers, and I’m looking forward to meeting new ones this year. Today I looked at the upcoming agenda and I can hardly wait for the day to arrive. Without knowing this is coming soon, I’d be extremely depressed. Winter is just too long.

No one is paying me to say this, but if you don’t plan to attend you‘ll miss some good information. Some of the classes I’m looking forward to attending are Dialogue Tags and Speech Patterns, Putting Romance into your Fantasy, the Principles of Suspense, and Following Through on Your Plot Promises. I almost forgot the one about Three Things You Must Learn to Write Killer Stories.

Maybe some of you writers don’t need to learn any of these things, but I do. I’m looking forward to attending and I know I’ll learn something to help me with my writing.

4 comments:

Ashley Harward said...

I've never heard of this conference - but it sounds great. Where can I go to find more information?

Anonymous said...

Ashley, you can go to http://www.ltue.org/LTUE_home.html to learn more. :)

I agree with you about the winter blues C. Hall, and the upcoming conference lightening that mood. Many talented and renowned authors and artists will be there and spending time with people like that is a treat in itself--let along the great things they'll be teaching.

Anna Maria Junus said...

Ah the advantages to living down there.

Unfortuneatly I live to far away to attend.

Carolyn V. said...

I'm so excited! I'm dragging LexiconLuvr with me =) Maybe we'll see you there!