Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Life's Scratches

by C. LaRene Hall

Somewhere I read – This life is full of scratches. That is why the Lord gave us patches.

This past week has been full of more scratches than I want to count. In fact, some of the hurts are deeper than scratches. Sometimes going through life, we receive a scrape here and maybe another day a cut. Some days we receive a nick and the next day a scuff, but we always get up and keep going. We don’t let the hard things knock us down. I also have to agree that the Lord does give us patches. There are friends who put their arms around us, others pick us up and help us keep moving. If we pray, the Lord fills our hearts with peace.

Since we are encouraged to write about what we know, these experiences help us find emotions to draw on. If our life was perfect with no conflict, we wouldn’t know what it feels like to be scared or hurt. Then we wouldn’t know how to describe that emotion to others as we write our stories. Sometimes we need a reminder that life is not always full of the good things. Even though I've had a bad week, I'm thankful for the people who help me push forward.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope things get better for you soon. I'm sorry about your personal "scratches" and if I can send a "patch" in any way, I'd love to.
All my best,
L.T.

C. LaRene Hall said...

Thanks - You just did. I appreciate your kind words. I just wish trials could be spread out over several months instead of all in one week. Too much sickness and too many funerals.

Nichole Giles said...

Connie, I'm with you. It's time for a break. You have a good attitude, though. Positive thinking and faith will get you through.

And maybe a lunch with some writing friends? Or, barring that, a conference next month...

Nichole