Tuesday, June 16, 2009

With a Little Help from My Friends

By Darvell Hunt


I now have over a dozen new writing friends, each of whom helped me with my writing last week. I hope I helped them as well.

I feel a strange but pleasant buzz rushing through my body, because my writing batteries are all charged up, thanks to the BYU Childrens Writers and Illustrators Conference. This was my fourth year in attendance and it was a as good as ever. Lots of writers, authors, illustrators, editors, and even a literary agent, were all gathered together in the same place, which made for a fun week.

The conference worked my writing muscles pretty hard and, while each day left me practically exhausted, each day I went back for more, I felt renewed strength. I left on Friday evening with a new toolbox full of writing goodies that I hope to use in the near future.

One of the reasons I go to conferences like this is to meet other writers, like myself. It’s nice to know there are others who are pushed from within to write compelling stories that inspire readers everywhere.

Tracy Hickman, co-creator of the popular Dragonlance fantasy world, basically taught us the tree-in-the-forest allegory as it relates to writing: If you write and nobody reads it, is it really writing at all? (That’s my translation of it, anyway; he didn’t actually say it using those words.)

I’d like to add my own little phrase to his. How about: I write, therefore I am. Hey, I like that!


Now back to writing.

3 comments:

Carolyn V. said...

Hey Darvell! This was only my second year at BYU, but every time I go - I can't help be excited about all the new things I have learned! And people actually liked my stuff this year. Awesome! It was so nice to meet you. =)

Darvell Hunt said...

It was exciting to meet you and other Blogck fans at BYU last week. I had more positive comments this year on my submitted novel than other years, so I'm encouraged, too.

Hope to see you again in person soon!

Darvell

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful to get to know you better, Darvell! And what happy fate that we always got to sit by you!
This was my first year at WIFYR and I loved every minute! It changed my life! Plus, it had the added benefit of getting to chill with other awesome writers. (Namely, you!)