Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Best of Connie Hall, Original Post, April 26, 2006

What does every writer need more of?

By Connie S. Hall

I attended a seminar twenty-five years ago that completely changed my life. Leaving that day, I resolved to change habits and take control of my life. My life wasn't less busy. The difference was I was now in control.

Most busy people are into a thousand different things, giving freely of themselves to everybody. The list of places where you give away pieces of your life is endless. In the process, you usually forget to save anything for yourself. I learned to arrange my life more efficiently and more effectively, and to save space for myself.

Life for me was busy. All my children were still at home, ranging from 5 to 18. I was president of a children's organization in my church, and I worked a full time job.

It wasn't easy changing habits, and it took effort to plan my days and do the important things first. I use to do things as they came along. Organization isn't always easy, but it's important.

I'm sure by now you have guessed the thing all writers need more of is TIME! Have you ever run out of TIME? Everyone has the same amount of time each day. When TIME is gone, it's really gone.

My motto since that day is "IF YOU DON'T SPEND TIME PLANNING YOUR DAY AND DECIDING ON YOUR PRIORITIES, SOMEBODY WHO IS LESS ORGANIZED WILL DO IT FOR YOU."

TIME is a gift - You can't demand more time, you can't ask for less, you can't buy it, you can't sell it, and you can't recycle it. Use your gift of TIME well. Learn to manage your time or you will always be one step behind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you recycled this one because it's a lesson I've sorely needed! Thanks, Connie. Hope you're doing all right. *hugs*