Friday, January 01, 2010

It's a New Day


by G.Parker

People tend to get a little crazy around this time of year. I know that I look at the calendar differently, excited for a new year to begin, (usually) and the old year to go away with all its trials and frustrations. Some years haven't been as bad, but I'm generally ready to leave it all behind.

Hopefully everyone realizes it's all psychological -- It's all in our minds. There wasn't really a difference between yesterday and today. There is no cosmic calendar that gets turned over while the angels gaze at the new days with wonder.

Calendars are the way man came up with to gauge/mark time. To manipulate and deal with the space of light between morning and night. I ponder on the human need for change when the seasons come around, and I recognize the need within myself.

I love the change of the seasons, and am usually ready for each change. Winter gets old, with the cold and the snow and the shorter days. Spring is exciting with the new flowers, bright colors and promise of new birth. Summer is a time when I'm too warm and wish there were a swimming pool in my back yard, and then Fall is my favorite with the changing leaves, cooling temps and promise of winter with snow.

I used to spend New Years Eve writing in my journal, catching up on the year (if I haven't been as faithful in writing) and pondering the days. I wasn't a popular girl and didn't have loads of dates, so I had lots of time on my hands.

Now that I'm married with children, we usually stay home because we don't have tons of friends who like to party. We have a family party, eat snack foods, play games and stay up to watch the ball drop, drink sparkling cider and then drop in bed.

I gave up on making New Year resolutions a long time ago. I never saw the benefit in them, and I generally broke them within a month or two. I figure that's a waste of time and effort. As I've grown older, I've seen the wisdom of making and keeping goals. Since that's done throughout the year, I don't see the new year as any different.

I do have goals for this new year though. I have a goal of editing my NaNoWriMo entry and getting my proof copy. I want to finish the editing of my critique group story and get it submitted. And, I promised my hubby I would work on and finish a different story this year. So...I have lots to do, plenty to work on.

Welcome to the New Year!! It's a whole New Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year and best of luck in your new goals!