Friday, February 19, 2010

The Stories Live On

by G.Parker

It's always the same; stories of sacrifice, determination, exceptional strength or courage and undaunted support of family and friends. The Olympian is always a rare breed of human that seems to rise above the rest of us in feats that amaze and astound.

In watching the games over the past week (well, what I could, since I'm a working woman) it was once again a treat to see the human spirit win out. There were those that fell while skating, both figure and speed; those that fell while snowboarding, and still flashed a smile at the end of their run, acknowledging that despite how hard you train, whatever you do, things are still determined in the blink of an eye. Unfortunately, there were also those who had to talk ill of others and complain about how the medals were dished out, but I guess you'll find that anywhere you go.

What makes these games stand out, is how most of the athletes treat each other. They congratulate the winner, despite the fact they didn't place well or where they had dreamed of. They show a camaraderie that most of us envy because our own friendships don't often reach that level.

Fortunately, I am surrounded by supporting friends and family in both my writing and working world. My husband may not like the fact I'm a TV addict during these weeks, but he puts up with it because he loves me and knows it's something I love. My critique group met this week, and they were all just as pumped about the games as I was, reviewing the success of this athlete or that one that we favored.

All of it reminds me of a line from a movie. Perhaps you've seen it, A Knight's Tale. At the end, Williams squires look on while he kisses the girl, and Chaucer comments on how he would have to write this experience down. Wat asks him if he means how the joust turned out. He tells him no. "The whole human experience."

That is what I feel sums up the games and how writers feel about life. They embody the whole human experience and show us the best of humanity and the gift of a world united.

Enjoy the games.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I'm enjoying the games, myself!