Friday, May 14, 2010

And The Winner Is...


by G.Parker

If you've read this column very long, you've heard about a thing called National Novel Writers Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo for short. One of the challenges is to write 50,000 words in a 30 day period. This past year was the fifth year I've participated. I'm beginning to feel old.

Thing is, they've actually put together some cool stuff if you reach your goal. Last year was an opportunity to see your work in a proof copy. Something you could actually hold in your hand and get the feel for what it would be published. For free. Through Createspace, a great POD - which means they publish on demand. Publishing on Demand is slightly different than most 'vanity' publishers, this means you don't have to put so much up front out of pocket. Anyway, I made the goal in 2008 and have a copy of my story. Of course it's nowhere near actual publication ready - I found tons of mistakes in it - but it's still cool to hold it in my hand and see my name on the cover. Way cool.

This past year, 2009, I did it again, and I've been realizing that I need to get my manuscript ready for another free proof copy. Today I spent a while designing the cover. Now, while it's not a research based, attention grabbing cover, it's still going to be nice. It will still represent what my book is about, and it's going to be cool to hold it in my hands. Once again I'll have that feeling.

There are a couple writers in our blogging group that know that feeling for real. I know it in an illustrator’s sense, but I'm really looking forward to the written word being published and in my hand. That idea is part of what keeps me going. Remember how I talked about spring fever last week and ways to get past it and keep writing? This is one of the things that keeps me going.

The other stuff is good, the writing, the editing, the knowing the book is finished - but there's nothing like holding that book in your hand.

What do you dream about with regard to being published? I'd like to know.

1 comment:

Stephanie Black said...

Holding that book in your hands for the first time is definitely an amazing experience! It's incredible to look between the covers and think "These are my words! I wrote this!"