Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Written Words

by C. LaRene Hall

Since my one sister and I are finally able to sort through things left behind with my mother’s passing away last September, it’s amazing the time it’s taking. The number of boxes there are to sort through is overwhelming. I’m not saying that this is a bad thing, because it’s not. In fact, I have found some of the most incredible papers and items from the past that I had no idea even existed, and things that I will treasure forever.

The awful part is, the others should have allowed us to sort through these things seven months ago instead of having us wait. Back then, it would have been an incredible experience. Now, it’s more a chore and something that we need to do.

I’m glad that I’m taking a careful look at everything. Otherwise, I would have missed some things along the way. In books there are notes left behind when my father passed away 17 years ago. I’ve written his life story, but I’ve never printed it. Now I know why – it was not complete. I needed those written words. The precious keepsakes that I’m finding will help complete the life story of both of my parents. I’m getting anxious to finish the sorting so that I now can get on with the writing of their story.

2 comments:

April Mitchell said...

Thank you for sharing your story. It must be hard to sort through all these artifacts, but also strangely rewarding as you find little treasures from their lives. When I think about it, it makes me more mindful of what I may one day leave behind for my own children to sort through. Hang in there, and just do what you have to do, sometimes it is one step at a time-one box at a time.

C. LaRene Hall said...

Thanks April - I needed those encouraging words.