Friday, September 03, 2010

Two Weddings and a Funeral or is it Two Funerals and a Wedding?

by G.Parker

There is a saying in my husband's family that all things come in three's, especially when it comes to deaths.  Last month we went to California for his Uncle's funeral, and now we just found out that his cousin's husband died in his sleep.  He was 62 and there hadn't been any concerns about his health.  It's kind of a shock, and we're hoping his cousin is going to be okay.

I also found out that Nichole, one of our esteemed bloggers had a younger brother die from an auto accident this past week.  I would hope that's the third, and that there are no more tragedies this year -- For any of my dear friends and family.

On the brighter side of things, I have two weddings coming up in the next 30 days -- a niece and nephew within two weeks of each other from the same family.  We are really excited for the event, since my nephew has been home from his mission for several years and we had begun to think he was never going to find anyone.

This whole scenario reminds me of a movie that I'm sure you're familiar with; Four Weddings and a Funeral.  I'm not really a fan of it, I really don't like the end, but that's personal preference.  What comes to mind though, is how often fiction is inspired by reality.  There are so many things that happen that click a story idea in my brain.  I think, "wow, that would make a good story," and quickly write it down. 

If you talk to any writer, they'll tell you how ideas for stories come at the strangest times and in the strangest ways.  I've heard of them coming out of the shower, frantic for paper and pen, or writing something down in the middle of the night only to discover that it's unreadable in the light of day. There were many times waiting for children in the car and hunting down paper in my purse.  Everyone has heard the story of J.K.Rowling and the napkin in a restaurant.  A writer always needs to be ready for a way to write things down.  Any writing surface will do, but it's best if it's not going to fall apart after being writing on.

So, if you see someone writing frantically on a napkin at a restaurant, chances are they had a great story idea and didn't have a scrap of paper.  Hopefully they won't be sneezing any time soon...

No comments: