Sunday, October 31, 2010

Gearing Up for NaNoWriMo


Good Sabbath and Happy Halloween!

How lucky I am to be the one to blog today, and not because it's Halloween. Oh, no. It's because tomorrow is the first day of NaNoWriMo. If you, like me when I first heard the term, have no idea what NaNoWriMo is, let me share with you. It stands for National Novel Writing Month, meaning November.

So, how does one celebrate, or at least observe, National Novel Writing Month? Why, by writing a novel, of course! As ambitious as that sounds, many writers actually do take up that challenge and some up the ante by imposing rules like, it has to be finished by November 30, be at least 50,000 words long, and you can't do any re-writes. Wow, talk about a challenge!

Personally, I plan to dust off my much-neglected work in progress and make some progress on it. I am not going to set any word count goals, which may be a little cowardly of me. Instead, I'm going to go on a writer's retreat for a few days and see what I can get done. If I'm feeling really adventurous, I might just start a new project and run with it.

So, set your goals. You only have a few hours left before the advent of NaNoWriMo. You'd probably better raid the kids' trick-or-treat bags and secure yourself a stash of chocolate to sustain you. Best of luck to you and happy writing!

No comments: