Sunday, October 24, 2010

Rough Road Ahead - Use Caution

My husband and I were driving down I-15 near our Utah home a few weeks ago and I saw a sign posted just before a section of road construction that read, "Rough Road Ahead. Use Caution." I got all excited and pointed it out to my husband, who couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. I told him I was excited because it was so metaphorical. It could be applied to life. I wanted to go back and take a picture of the sign, but then realized it was an electronic sign and I'd have to take two pictures and that would kind of ruin the effect. So, I didn't.

But let's ponder that thought for a few minutes. Rough Road Ahead. Each of us have rough roads ahead of us. How do I know? Because rough roads are a part of life, and because we have chosen a rough career which seems to be at the mercy of the whims of society and technology. Nobody escapes rough roads.

What cautions should we take? I think the best caution is to be prayerful every day. If God is with us, we can face anything. We can face derision, rejection and self-doubt. Another caution is to remember who we are. We are children of God. He wants us to succeed and He needs us to help further His work in our day. He needs us to be true to our heritage as his offspring.

I have been studying the lives of the Mormon handcart pioneers. They experienced many rough roads on their journey towards Zion. Many of them did not make it. Some turned back. Some died along the way and some died after the arrived. Those who made it to the end were often quoted as expressing the idea that if they had it to do over again, they would. The believed the prize was worth the cost. They found God in their extremity. Our rough roads are our best teachers.

I hope we can all follow their example and face with caution and courage life's rough roads.

Have a good Sabbath.

2 comments:

Ann Best said...

We really do find God in our extremities!! Well said. Perfect analogy. Thank you!
http://ann-jen.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.