Saturday, February 05, 2011

Relearning the Craft & LTUE

By Keith N Fisher

I had a great idea for a blog. I thought about it several times during the week. When I sat down to write, it was gone, like so much hot air from a leaky inner tube.

No, I’m not going to belabor the point of writing down ideas when you get them, or carrying a notebook so you can. I’ve written about that before, and I’m sure, you’ve given that message a prominent place in your writers tool kit.

Each week, on this blog, I try to think of subjects that are helpful and timely for those who struggle with the desire to write. If for no other reason, than to provide reassurance that you are not alone in your struggles, others toil too.

I often wonder how I can be so presumptuous? What qualifies me to offer writing advice? The answer, plain and simple, is nothing.

Each week in critique group, I labor to relearn lessons. Last time, they suggested doing something I’ve already done. I wonder if I’m not capable of holding onto the knowledge.

Still, I write to you, each week, hoping to encourage you to keep working. Knowing full well many of you will soar to greater heights. Many of you already have. I hope I’ve been helpful in your journey.

I started down the writer’s path with the assumption I would turn the LDS market upside down. When I won third place in the 2007 LDStorymakers first chapter contest I thought I was on my way.

My belief in my success, and a love of writing, have kept me going. The many friends I met along the way have also lifted me and sustained me. I know I will succeed, some day. How could I fail?

On the 17th-19th of Feb, BYU is holding a conference of sorts. Its for writers and others with a focus on fantasy, science fiction and paranormal. Yeah, that’s what I thought when I heard about it the first time. But I don’t write in that genre. It’s okay, there are plenty of great writing tips. It’s called Life, the universe and everything (LTUE).

I’m going in order to learn more about my craft, check out the cool science fiction, and re-connect with my writing friends. Being around so many creative people charges me, and renews my belief in my ability. I hope to see you there. Maybe we can give each other a boost.

Good luck with your writing—see you next week.

2 comments:

Randall said...

Keith,

Thanks for sharing and for the encouragement.

Randy

Steve Westover said...

You're not supposed to admit you'r not qualified to give advice. Fake it til you make it.

Besides, we're all learning together. That's whats so great about the writing community. We share ideas and best practices. That's how we improve. Thanks for the post.