Friday, March 11, 2011

by G.Parker


While most of us like to read something that is enlightening, challenging, thought provoking, indepth...sometimes you need something silly.

I picked up two books this week, (and actually read them!) that while they are LDS in fiction, they are more of humor than of intellect.  They remind me that while we want to publish something of substance, sometimes it's good to have just a fun read.  The books were The Bishop's Bride and The Bishop's Bride, the Honeymoon's Over.  They were so full of sections of humor that I just laughed out loud.  There is a set of twins that while not as irreverent as the ones in the Harry Potter series, pretty similar in behavior and interaction.  

Humor is the best medicine, we hear it all the time.  Well, it was definitely what the doctor ordered this week.  And it brought to mind a couple of thoughts. 

I have a story I wrote several years ago that is totally predictable.  I mention it because it's similar to The Bishop's Bride, in that you know the bishop is going to get married and you know who he's going to marry.  What's fun is how it happens and they end up there.  Talk about action packed!  Well, my story isn't quite as crazy, but it's predictable and a fun romance in how it ends up.  

I sent it to a publisher and they told me it was too predictable.  Okay...and your point being?

Right after that I read something from a fairly popular LDS writer that was totally predictable and I wanted to throw it in the trash.  It had been printed by the same publisher I'd submitted to!  So I guess it sometimes comes down to who you know and your presentation.  Perhaps mine just wasn't funny enough, or engaging enough...who knows.  

But just keep in mind that there's a market out there for what you're writing.  You just have to find it.  You never know, it might be the silliness in you that gets the ink printed.

2 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Good advice. I think sometimes it's the luck of getting your manuscript in front of the right person at the right time.

Rebecca Blevins said...

I love books that make me laugh. IYou're right--there's a place for all styles of writing, including silly. Those are my favorites right now, probably because life is deep and serious. :)