Thursday, March 24, 2011

Good News

by Cheri Chesley

I missed last week's post because I had no internet. Though I did consider getting down to the library and accessing internet that way, I have been turned away before because of sheer numbers, and with my day to day house/kids/babysitting/homeschool schedule, it's not that easy.

But I didn't waste my week. Without internet, I found it much easier to work on my story, finishing the second draft of my novel. Finally. Three months beyond my scheduled completion date, but I'm done. Sigh.

Now I have to go through it and add the little details that I missed. Don't worry, I took copious notes. :) I love having the sticky note option on my desktop. Every time I turn on the computer, I'm reminded of the things I need to still do.

The fun of not having internet is that I get much more done. I was so productive, in fact, my husband suggested we simply turn off the internet entirely. Don't worry--I laughed at him.

How would I network? How would I keep in touch with all my writer friends? How would I get that wonderful inspiration to keep going without sharing my joys, and sorrows, with them? And then there's the blogging, and the website, and . . . . Yes, internet is here to stay. But at least I'm learning about my own scheduling weaknesses. :)

In short, I'm glad to be back. The break was nice, but it's nice to be connected again.

3 comments:

Aydil said...

I know the feeling Its nice to take a break but can't be with out it. it is like you log on for one thing and next thing you know you doing a whole bunch of other things. Then you look at the time and you been on for hours.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I do get distracted by networking. I get the most done on weekends when I close my office door to shut out the distractions of the TV and family. During the week I'm too busy to get much done except blogging and visiting other blogs.

Darvell Hunt said...

"Writing a book is 10% inspiration and 90% not being distracted by the internet.” --George Dyson

:-)