Friday, April 01, 2011

Emotional Ties

by G.Parker

I wasn't going to post today.

I have many things on my mind, not the least of which is my brother passing away this week.  But as I was sitting this morning and contemplating life, I realized I had something to say - even though nothing came earlier in the week.  So you get my thoughts.

Emotions are a strong tie in writing and reading.  They bring us closer to the character, pull us into the story and make us want to know how things are going to end.  Is the girl going to find her birth mother?  Is the son ever going to get over finding his father hanging in the barn?  Stark emotion exists in our day to day world, though for some, not as much as others.

I've had a lot of death in my life, though I don't dwell on it.  I lost my parents at a young age, a foster father, my grandparents, a 20 year old niece, my 'adopted' mother, my father-in-law and now one of my younger brothers.  When my 'adopted' mother passed, we owned a pizza place and I had no choice but to go to work.  I remember being there while the high school lunch crowd came in, tears flowing down my cheeks.  The boys were so sweet...they asked what was wrong and when we told them, they all offered their sympathy and kind words.  I'll never forget that outpouring of compassion.  It's something that I could use in a story, I remember it so well.

I know I've mentioned before how I draw on my own life experiences to enliven or bring emotion to my writing, I would think every writer does.  We write best what we know, right?

So today, as I contemplate the life of my brother and how lucky I was to know him, I celebrate the chance I have to continue on and perhaps immortalize him in word somehow.  He will always be part of me and what I feel inside.  We'll meet again.

Life goes on.

11 comments:

kbrebes said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother's passing. Thank you for the lovely post at such a difficult time. God be with you. : )

Rebecca Talley said...

I am very sorry to hear about your brother. May the Lord bless and comfort you.

Valerie Ipson said...

It's often surprising how life does go on. What a blessing to know that while it hurts so much to be apart from them, we will see them again. God bless...

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Gaynell - Hugs and love, sweetie. My prayers are with you and your family.

Lisa Asanuma said...

Wow, it's a small world. Andrew is one of my husband's best friends, so we heard about this passing through him. My prayers are with the whole Parker clan.

Taffy said...

Thank you for sharing such tenders moments. God bless you.

Francine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keith N Fisher said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Remember, we are praying for you and your family

Marsha Ward said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. With my brother lying comatose in a hospital bed, this hits very close to home for me. We'll both make it through our challenges, though. I have no doubt of that. (((((HUGS)))))

Janice LeFevre said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janice LeFevre said...

I'm so sorry about your losing your brother. I hope that as you grieve you will be able to feel the Lord's peace and His tears. Love you.