Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday Morning Thoughts



This morning I woke up to gray skies and dripping eaves. What that meant to me was that my children would need to be driven to school instead of walking. My son would have to take his road test on wet roads. It meant that I wouldn't get any gardening done today and it even meant that my resident state of Utah might experience flooding.

I also work up to birds singing. It sounded like a beautiful, sunny spring day. What kind of birds sing while it's raining? I believe at least some of them were robins, those harbingers of spring. They seemed completely unperturbed by the rain and sang anyway. Their song spoke to me of the hope of new beginnings, of green leaves and fragrant flowers. It raised my spirits much more than it would have had it been a sunny day.

I took this as a lesson. I can be the kind of bird that sings when the skies are gray and rain is falling. I can spread cheer and good news in a world that is dark and gloomy.

So can you. Have a great week.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Thanks, Karen. That's a great message!