Thursday, September 29, 2011

Stretching the Creative Muscle

by Cheri Chesley

A few years ago, I got it in my head to write a short story as a gift to one of my nieces. The story flowed out beautifully and I was able to get it to her just in time for her birthday.

Full of inspiration, I thought how great it would be if I could write a birthday story for each of my nieces that year. And, if I did that, wouldn't it be great to include my daughters too?

The problem is that I have ten nieces, two daughters and a stepdaughter. And, let's be honest, not all of them love to read. I wrote two stories for two nieces that year.

They're good stories, fun stories. One--geared for a 9 yr old mystery lover--was a light hearted mystery set in Paris about a girl and can crime solving duo. The other--aimed at a 15 yr old--was a darker, more gothic themed murder mystery involving a wedding, terrifying dreams and betrayal, set in Scotland.

One is around 17,000 words and the other is 9,800 words. I've been thinking they'd make great ebooks. And what better time to launch a mystery/suspense than around Halloween? Just ask my friend, ELIZABETH. :) I can't possibly compete with her in levels of awesomeness (her book is getting RAVE reviews already), but I'm still going to launch The Price of Love in the days before Halloween, when everyone is looking for a good thrill.

It's going to be fun!

No comments: