Wednesday, December 07, 2011

NaNoWriMo in November



by C. LaRene Hall

I received one of these certificates also.

For most writers the month of November is busier than usual. I started my month out by going to a writers retreat. This is the second time I’ve gone on such a retreat, but it was the first time that I went with this particular group. It was a large group, and the house was huge. I spent most of my time inside a theater room, lounging in a recliner that had a cup holder. I curled up in a blanket with my laptop and typed away. In the two full days, and two part days I wrote more than 20,000 words. I wish it had been more because that left more than half the words still to be typed.

I did finish before the end of the month, but there were a few days I wondered if I would really meet my goal. There were times that I just wanted to quit writing and do something else. Of course, those who know me know that I am not a quitter. If I say I will do something I will.

This is the third time that I have completed NaNoWriMo. There has been a year between each of those accomplishments so I think that means that I’ll sit next year out.

At the retreat I learned many things and the one I most want to share is about the sprints. Before this I kept getting emails telling me that so and so was going to sprint and that I should join them. I had no idea what they were talking about until I saw it in action. I watched several times before I got brave enough to participate.

I only did it once and couldn’t believe what I accomplished in that 20 minutes. Words flew onto my paper that I don’t think my brain had ever thought before. I ended up writing a romance scene (something I had never done before) and a gypsy scene. Since that one small experience I have expanded my story to include many things that I never would have thought about before.

How many of you writers have ever participated in NaNoWriMo before? How many of you did it this year? Will you do it again?

I know I will participate again, because it gives me another story to work on. Yes, most of the stuff I wrote will be deleted, but the story idea is still there and many of the scenes will probably not be touched. I really do write well when I am under pressure.

As a writer, I find that I really do waste a lot of time. I spend time thinking about writing instead of writing. Are you that way?

See you next week.

2 comments:

Brent Wescott said...

I think you people who have the time to write so much in one month are crazy people. :) (I kid, only because I'm jealous.)

In fact, I would give a lot to be able to go to a retreat like this. I have to write in three or four minute spurts every three days, it seems, so writing 20,000 words in two days sounds so luxurious. Way to go.

C. LaRene Hall said...

Some day you will also find the time to write more often. There is a time and season for everything.