Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Writers Conferences

In January I always start thinking about the coming year and which writers conferences I can afford to attend. I didn't start writing until my later years and had no idea there were so many choices. My first writers conference was to the LDStorymakes in 2004. On my shelf are books from each of those years since. The next writers conference I tackled was the League of Utah Writers. I haven't attended as many of those, but I still enjoy going when I can. I'm still working, so it's not always easy to get time off to attend all those offered. It's not expensive to belong to the League of Utah Writer's so maybe you should check them out because locally you can usually attend monthly meetings. I used to attend, but now I have a church calling that keeps me busy on the night they meet together.

I guess what I'm trying to tell you this week is - if you are a writer, there are a lot of options in Utah to attend writing conferences. Some of them cost, but many of them are free or inexpensive. Search for them and attend as often as you can. In February there is one in the Provo/Orem area (LTUE)- that is resonably priced. In April there is one in Ephraim that is free.

If you are wanting to study about writing and find help, there are many options. There are many writers in Utah and it seems that there is always help just around the corner if you look for it.

2 comments:

Keith N Fisher said...

Hi Connie,

thanks for the great post. I think you have the wrong date for your first storymakers, however.

C. LaRene Hall said...

You are correct Keith - I did post the wrong date, but I have now corrected my error. Thanks.