Monday, May 07, 2012

Reflections on 2012 LDStoryMakers

I'm back!! My one goal in going to this year's Storymakers conference was to not say, "Oh, I wish I had done [fill in the blank]." I went first class all the way and I have zero regrets!! I did everything from boot camp to the Whitney Awards and even sneaked away to catch The Avengers on IMAX 3D with some buddies. I had the time of my life and I think it was one of the most fulfilling weekends for me. Ever.
I think there are two main things I got out of this conference. One is the importance on characters and their development, and two is that I've got to roll up my sleeves and write. No more excuses.

Just a few highlights on these reflections. Paul Genesse said something that really struck home: "Writers who write very great plots write really good stories. Writers who write very good characters have very good careers."

I think back on books that I've loved and it is most often the characters that I love more than the plot itself. Of course, there is a huge interconnectivity between the two, but since I haven't been the best at developing my characters in my latest writings it is giving me something to focus on.

The keynote at the conference was Kevin J. Anderson. During his keynote address he talked about how he was never afraid to take on writing projects and how he always had a lot of irons in the fire. This attitude has enabled him to get to where he is today.

I plan to touch on these in more detail in future postings.

I had a wonderful time and if you didn't get the chance to go I suggest you reserve a spot on your calendar for May 10-11, 2013 for the next conference (boot camp is May 9th). And, if possible, save your money so you can get the most out of it as well.

No comments: