Saturday, February 02, 2013

Beyond the Craft

By Keith N Fisher

How is your writing? Beyond the craft, how is it coming? I had an article ready to post today, but I decided not to post it. Not that it would be incendiary, but in light of recent blog posts and Facebook status’ I didn’t want to offend.

I’ve learned that people take offence even where none was intended. I’ve also learned that my opinions are not always right. I know, difficult to believe. First, that I would be wrong, and that a man would admit his failures.

I once heard the above question asked of a friend at a writers conference. I knew that person had suffered great trials and had considered giving up. My friend just said, "fine" and went on to talk about the project they were working on.

Why do we do that? Why do we think we can’t be truthful with our writing friends? I suspect the person who asked, didn’t really want an answer and why is that?

My friend later, attended a class and learned we are what we are, and God loves us for our efforts. That friend continues to work at writing without much success, but its part of life.

So I ask, how is your writing coming? Don’t give up. Hold out for your dreams and stay away from instant success. Most of all don’t be afraid to tell someone. We all struggle and sometimes it feels good to know you are not alone.

Good luck with your writing—see you next week.

No comments: