Friday, March 29, 2013

It's Finally Spring!

by G.Parker

Yes, spring has finally showed it's head in Utah.  It kind of makes me worried for this weekend, since March was rather mild, but the weather men all say it's going to be a lovely Easter weekend, so perhaps that old saying doesn't really hold any water...

Which makes me laugh to think about it.  My husband was talking to someone the other day and said "6 of one, half a dozen of the other."  They had no idea what he was talking about.

I find it interesting how the old phrases and silly remarks from our grandparents have not carried onto today. Our daughter will say stuff like "fiddlesticks" at work (1, because she doesn't swear; and 2, because she likes saying goofy things) and her co-workers think it's hilarious.  They've never heard the words.

My husbands grandmother used to always say stuff like, "for crying tears in the sink."  My father-in-law used to say "Goodnight nurse!"

I'll bet you grew up with phrases or sayings you could relate to as well.  I think we've all heard, "no sense crying over spilled milk,"  or  "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater."

Discovering the origins of these phrases or tidbits have been interesting.  My husband loves to tell about the baby in the bathwater bit.  If anyone wants to know, comment and I'll mention it next week.  ;)

Phrases and thoughts like these are something that are handed down from one generation to another, much, like the original story tellers did.  However, stories change and grow with each telling, until the current generations knowledge of it is totally different from what had been the original story.  It's one of the reasons that Nephi needed to take the brass plates with him.  Man's word of mouth is not as reliable as the written word.

That's why what we do is so important.  We help keep things fresh in mind, we keep things true to form, and we can add or change with keeping a copy of the original.  Writing is an art form, and all of you are artists.

I hope you have a wonderful artistic weekend.  See you next week.  ;)

No comments: