Friday, April 05, 2013

Writing Styles

by G.Parker

I decided that I needed to write something that focused more on writing than my world.  I mean, I know my world is fascinating and all that, but you read our blog for writing insights...not how my kids are doing and my comments on the weather.  ;)

So, it occurred to me that perhaps you might have heard of a writing style called the snowflake method.  I think the first time I heard about it was when I went to LDStorymakers the first time, but I'm not sure.  I know a lot of people put great stock in the theory and design.  The idea is that you build small, and it turns into a novel.  Each little step is a part of the snowflake.

Personally, I am of two minds when it comes to novel writing.  I have an idea and I write around that idea, building the plot and characters as I go.  Or, I have an idea that I'm able to write an entire plot outline, including all the characters and their backgrounds before I write word one.

More often than not, I write the first way.  It's an unusual story that I've written the whole outline for, including characters.  However, when I do, I find it easier to track what I'm dong and who's talking.  I like being able to look up names and personal info and not having to remember it all.  Trust me, when you get to be the older generation, it gets harder to remember all of that.

In writing though, it's always good to be willing to grow and learn.  If you become more skilled at something, you become better at it.  We all want to improve our writing abilities, so perhaps you would want to explore a different way of writing.  Just a thought.  Check out the website, and be sure an look into things at the LDStorymakers conference.

You'll always come away with a greater outlook than when you started.

1 comment:

dawnknight said...

Fonts are amazing innovations on the traditional "letters" of manual type writers. Now, computer users may re-create letters through computer scary text generator and call new worlds of compositions into existence.