Saturday, May 23, 2015

Interviews


By Keith N Fisher

Alluding to, coming changes in my life, I think I mentioned (Somewhere), my job will be changing. At the Storymakers conference, I pitched Starcrossed to Sam from Covenant. I mentioned how nervous it made me, and realized I would soon be pitching myself to potential employers.

Pitching my book shouldn’t have made me nervous, I love the book, and I can present it in very few words. Job interviews, on the other hand . . .

Sam asked me to send the manuscript, the man from HR invited me back. The whole thing reminds me of a blog post from a while ago when I wrote about writers in the nineteen-seventies, and how they didn’t have to do much promotion.

In like manner, when planning careers and the future, my generation was told: Just be punctual, be loyal, do your best. Take care of the company and the company will take care of you . . . Things change.

Although I like networking and talking about my books, I really don’t like promoting. There is so much I could do, but don’t, I feel inadequate. Am I really a twenty-first century writer if I’d rather just write?

In business, I hate trying to climb the latter. I plug away, day to day, doing my job. I don’t care if I look good or not. The same goes with interviews. I feel like saying, “I’ll do the job. I will meet, and exceed my goals. Just hire me.”

When talking to an agent or editor, I can’t say my book will be the next big thing. I can’t tell them why they should buy my book versus somebody else’s. The truth is, I tell a good story that will touch some peoples hearts. But so will the other book. Starcrossed will touch hearts, but some people might not like it. Some people are crazy, but I’m not a therapist, so . . .

Wouldn’t it be great to invent a device? I need something to wear on my wrist that will send out subliminal suggestions. “You will buy my book. You will love my book. You cannot live without my book.”

In the same vein, I could change the program: “You will hire me. I am the best man for the job. Where have I been all your life?”

Good luck with your writing—see you next week.




No comments: