Friday, October 19, 2007

Oh, Darn! I Give Up

By Keith Fisher

Once again I didn’t get the challenge answered and G. Parker tagged me for another. The trouble is, I have been snowed under. Every time I try to carve out a moment to write I am called away for another of life’s moments. This week I have been trying to get organized to submit part of my Dutch oven cookbook. I’ve been cleaning up after the yard sale, and trying to get my night job in line.

While cleaning up, I discovered something that may mystify you as it did me. We took a truck to Deseret Industries and were told they wouldn’t take certain items. I have the back for an office chair. It was brand new when the chair broke so I saved it, hoping I would rebuild the chair.

Brand-new and they wouldn’t take it.
"Do you have the bottom part?" he asked.
"No," I said.
"Then what good is it?"
"It can be used by someone who is trying to fix chairs."
"We can throw it in the dumpster for you."
"Unbelievable," I said.
I drove away wondering where I could find a home for it.
Do you want it?

I also went to the book fair at school this week. Pretty good racket—the teachers bring you in to talk about your kids, and your kids drag you into the book fair. The problem is that it’s not all books. The kids want to buy the toys too.

I purchased an eighth-grade level grammar book. Maybe it will help my writing. I’ll let you know. Good luck in your writing, and let me know if you need a new back for your office chair.

3 comments:

G. Parker said...

Yeah...DI doesn't take anything that's broken anymore, parts or otherwise. It's a pain -- but Savers does!! At least they will take couches and chairs and stuff. I don't know if they'll take your chair back. Our dump has a section roped off of stuff that's "for free". You might see if yours does. Good blog!

Julie Wright said...

the book fair is a thing I love and despise. I love it from the author viewpoint. What a great way for parents to hear about new books and as a parent I hate how much smaller my checking account is at every parent teacher's conference.

Keith N Fisher said...

I have noticed some large dumpsters behind savors as well.

Julie, may-be we can arrange a discount for writers?