Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Noisy

By C. LaRene Hall

Often as a writer, I hear voices in my head, not just one, but many of them. Most people don’t understand this. Some of them probably think I’m crazy. I don’t usually have to strain to hear the voices because they are sometimes screaming at me, but they fade away as soon as I start typing.

One voice is difficult to get rid of. It’s mean, and keeps telling me, “Your story isn’t good enough.”

Then it says, “Why are you wasting your time trying to write?”

Soon it shouts, “You can’t write.”

The last things it says is, “You’ll never have anything published.”

Do I believe it? Not even a little bit. The louder it shouts the more determined I become. This is sad, because most people aren’t like me. Some of them even give up.

It’s not easy to make this voice disappear, but if I work hard enough it goes away. All I have to do is listen to the real voices in my head that are there waiting for me to hear. It’s the voices of all the characters who want their story told.

3 comments:

Don said...

That's the same voice in my head!

I've found a good night's sleep will diminish that voice quite a bit.

Keith N Fisher said...

you guys need to listen to the right voices and I know you do. Good Job Connie

Nichole Giles said...

Connie,
I wonder if that is the voice of an evil fairy who is trying to sabotage our work and take away our confidence? I say 'our' because I hear that voice sometimes too.

Which is why I collect good fairies who will help me shoo that bad one away.

Good blog.

Nichole