Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Some Day I'll Be Noticed

By C. LaRene Hall

I’m sure I’m not the only one who each summer looks forward to the Shakespearian Festival in Cedar City. The past couple of years I didn’t make the long trek from Salt Lake, but when I do go, I always feel the trip is worthwhile.

I’ve seen many of Shakespeare’s plays such as A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Much Ado About Nothing, and As You Like It. This man lived between 1564 and 1616, and many people regard him as the greatest writer of the English language. His early plays were comedies and histories, but then he wrote tragedies until 1608. In the last few years of his life, he wrote tragicomedies also known as romances. To me that means, if someone as famous as Shakespeare can change his genre and write different things, I can do the same thing.

By 1592, some of Shakespeare’s plays appeared on the London stage, but until the nineteenth century, most of his work went unnoticed. Many times no one becomes aware of a writer until he dies. I really don’t want to wait until I die to have some of my stories published, but at least there is hope that someday someone will notice me. Maybe it will only be my grandchildren, but at least it will be someone.


In July 2006, my sister and I took a trip to Scotland, Wales, and England. I was anxious to visit Stratford-Upon-Avon, England, to see the birthplace of Shakespeare on Henley Street. The man dressed as Shakespeare was a good replica in looks, but I doubt he was a writer. He hated answering questions. We took a tour bus to see the Anne Hathaway Cottage (childhood home of Shakespeare’s wife), and the Mary Arden’s House (the childhood home of his mother). The weather was rainy and we didn’t spend as much time in this city as I would have liked.

Before I close this blog, I want to leave a quote from Shakespeare that I enjoy – All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.

Next week I’ll write about another author’s childhood home that I visited on another trip. Meanwhile, you can see some of my other travels on my website at http://www.clhall.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Keith N Fisher said...

You are already being noticed. You are a great influence on many writers I know. thanks for the tour.