Tuesday, June 02, 2009

BYU Workshop for
Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers

By Darvell Hunt

The most comprehensive writing workshop I have ever attended is the week-long conference at BYU called the “Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers Workshop,” which is coming up next week. This will be my fourth year in attendance.

I was excited this year to discover that Ann Dee Ellis will be teaching one of the workshops on novel writing, so I signed up for her class. If you haven’t read her first book, you’ve really missed out! I’m looking forward to finding out what new things I can learn from her about my old craft.

If it’s like the last conferences, it will be tiring, yet invigorating. I just might learn that little extra bit of information that will make a difference for me in my quest for national publication. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for the WIFYR BYU conference! Wasn't Ann Dee one of the first one's you downloaded onto your kindle? I thought you posted about that once. Maybe I am mistaken. =]

Carolyn V. said...

Hooray! I'm so excited for this years WIFYR! This is my second year.

I was excited to see the Lisa Hale is teaching a class. She was my teacher for two of my creative writing classes at BYU. She is very good!

Darvell Hunt said...

Yes, indeed, Ann Dee Ellis's book was the second download on my Kindle 2. She is also the reason I attended the first BYU conference I went to. I'm very much looking forward to this year's class.

I don't know Lisa Hale, but I'll look for her!

Evelyn Curtis said...

This conference is yet to come? Can some one direct me to details? I do not have any connections to the writing world, and I am desperately trying to get my foot in the door. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Darvell Hunt said...

The conference starts next Monday (June 8) at BYU. It lasts until Friday (June 12). You can find more information about it by clicking on the link inside my story above (click on “Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers Workshop").

If you can't attend the morning workshops (or don't want to pay the extra amount for it) you can also go just in the afternoons for much cheaper. That's what I did last year. Attending just the afternoon classes is well worth the money.

Good luck and hope to see you there!

Darvell

Evelyn Curtis said...

Thank you for the information! I appreciate it very much. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend, since I just had knee surgery. I look forward to any other writing conferences that I can attend. I am in Pocatello, ID, and they don't have any major conferences etc.

Have fun, and thanks again!