Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Never Give Up

by C. LaRene Hall

I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work. – Albert Einstein

I love this quote, and it gives every writer hope. Last year I won the rejection contest for the Authors Incognito group. Most people can’t begin to understand why anyone would want to win such a contest, but I was excited and I did work towards this award.

The award was presented to me in April at a writer's conference and I have hung the plaque on my wall next to my computer where I can see it every time I sit down. To me it is more than rejections – I set a goal at the beginning of the year, and didn’t give up. I kept submitting the entire year. I decided early on that I was going to submit at least 52 times – once a week. I didn’t hear back from everyone because the rejections are still coming. They don’t even hurt as much now when then come, and some of the letters are encouraging. I know that with each letter, I’m one-step closer to a contract.

Believe that you have not failed. Keep aiming for your goal and never give up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're going to make it and then that plaque will be even more near-and-dear for you!