Thursday, December 31, 2009

Experience 2010

By Nichole Giles


Right about now, probably half the people in the world are talking about resolutions and goals. And if they aren’t talking about them, they’re thinking about them. Why not? We’re about to jump into a new year and what better time to make goals or plans for your future?

But there are some things that are out of our control and as much as we’d like to make goals about publication or acquiring an agent, I think we’re better off planning for the things we can guarantee will happen. For instance, if we’re determined to find a publisher for our manuscripts, rather than make a resolution to get that contract, make a goal to submit to a certain number of companies. Rather than make a goal to lose a certain number of pounds, why not plan instead to do the things it takes to lose the weight? Like exercise four times a week and eat balanced meals. By planning things within our control we have the best opportunity for success. And every little success brings us more in control with the rest.

But enough about resolutions and goals. Instead, I’d like to know what fun things you plan to do for yourself and with your family in 2010. Will you go somewhere new? What new activity will you attempt for the first time? What new skill will you learn? What books do you plan to read?

These are the things I want to talk about right now. The fun things in life. The best things in life. The reason we’re here to live. All of these plans and experiences can be used in our writing.

For instance, the other day I was able to give blood for the first time in my life. The process itself was no big deal to me. I just didn’t look at the needle or the bag of blood as it filled, and I was fine. It wasn’t until after my arm was all bandaged and the nurse leaned my chair up into the sitting position that I passed out cold. And I stayed out for a good thirty seconds or so. Long enough for my husband to jump out of his chair to come over and save me from doing a face plant off the chair and onto the floor, for them to lie me back, and for a nurse to slap me repeatedly without me even knowing . It was an entirely new experience for me. I mean, I fainted once before, but not quite so severely and it’s been sixteen years since then. It was a good thing to experience, and something I plan to use in my writing.



Now on to the next new thing. What do I want to do next? Skydiving? Parasailing? Scuba diving? Swimming with sharks? Maybe skiing since I live in Utah? Climbing a volcano? Hm. Maybe I’ll try writing a whole novel backwards. Well, whatever it is, I have a whole year to figure it out. What about you? What new thing will you experience? I want to know about it.

Happy New Year! Now, go out and experience life and as always, write on.

Nichole

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Something fun I want to do this year is go on a cruise. I've never been and my whole family has so I'd like to give it a shot.

Happy New Years to everyone at the blogck!

Nichole Giles said...

Oh my, L.T., I highly recommend a cruise. In fact, email me before you book and I'll tell you about the one's I've been on. Such a great experience!

Happy New Year! I hope yours is filled with happiness and success.

Nichole