Sunday, April 25, 2010

One of Many

By Keith Fisher

I sat in the grand ballroom, looking out over a sea of humanity. The master of ceremonies asked for a raise of hands to show how many were attending for the first time. The number of raised hands exceeded those who’d been there before.

It was the welcoming session of the LDStorymakers conference, and I was overwhelmed. When I attended my first LDStorymakers conference in 2006, The welcoming session was held in a room almost as big, as some of the classrooms at the 2010 conference. I remember sitting in the front at the 2006 conference and looking back at the mass of people with an interesting thought in mind.

I wrote a blog about it shorlty afterward, and said,

With the increasing numbers of LDS writers and those who write in the LDS market, I wonder if perhaps we’re all standing on a precipice being prepared to help fight a battle. To help people come to the knowledge of Christ. Even if we do no more than keep our content clean.

For want of a better image, remember the movie, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, when several people suddenly had the same desire?


I overheard a published author, Saturday morning, and she was saying the same thing about that conference. I don’t think we were the only ones with those impressions either.

Since that first conference, I’ve seen the numbers increase every year. It’s overwhelming. Yes, it equates to more competition, but if what I wrote in 2006 is true, The army is increasing in numbers.

The LDStorymakers conference is like a breath of fresh air. I attended a breakout session, and listened to Joshua J. Perkey bear testimony. He refreshed my desire to help change lives with my writing. I also heard a presentation By Matt and Tristi designed to strengthen the marriages of writers. It confirmed my belief that my writing is an aspiration given to me by a loving Heavenly Father.

Simply put, I could, attend writer’s conferences in some exotic places, but nowhere else, can I network with like minded writers, and listen to a closing prayer after the conference. I am truly blessed.

Good luck with your writing---see you next week.

9 comments:

Angie said...

It was my first time there, but it won't be my last! What an incredible experience. I don't think we really are in competition. I think there's room for all of us to succeed, and that's an awesome thought.

Keith N Fisher said...

Welcome Angie. It was awsome wasn't it?

Kerry Blair said...

Thanks for the post, Keith! I SO wish I could have been there!

Keith N Fisher said...

Me too Kerry. You were missed. Hope you are doing good.

Keith N Fisher said...

Me too Kerry. You were missed. Hope you are doing good.

Why Not? Because I Said So! said...

Wow! Wonderful post about the conference. What an inspiring roundup of the conference. It was fun to hang out with you and the other AI's.

Annette Lyon said...

What a great thought--I love that. And I'm sure there is a lot of truth behind it. There's a reason Orson Whitney and other Church leaders have had their eye on the arts. It's overwhelmingly humbling to think that some of US might be part of fulfilling prophecy.

Karlene said...

Loved the conference. I don't see it as competition. We all bring our best to the buffet table. Different tastes for different folks. It all works out.

Anonymous said...

Keith, you are such a mighty spirit to me. I haven't words but know that I'm touched. *hugs*