Friday, December 10, 2010

Only 15 Days Left

by G.Parker


Okay, what happened to the year?  I mean, just a couple of weeks ago it was Easter and then summer.  Now it's only 15 days left till Christmas?  Where did the time go?

I know that NaNoWriMo took a big chunk of it, but I just realized last night that I haven't finished shopping, I'm not ready for candy making on Monday and haven't been keeping up with my writing since the 30th.

Woe is me.  I could really be tempted to act Grinchy, but I love the Christmas season and all the things we do as a family.  It is really family time, after all.  Traditions and memories are what keep us together and help families survive life's up and downs.  

One of our big traditions as a family is making candy together and then giving it away.  This year we've invited some neighbors that have been friends for a long time and moved back into our world.  I'm excited, but I realized that I haven't sent her a list of what she'll need and prepared anything else.  Like cleaned the house which is still a mess from decorating (which hasn't been finished yet either).

Another tradition is going shopping together and trying to hide each other's presents in the store so they don't know what they're getting until Christmas day.  The younger boys have been asking about that all week, and it's made me realize that they really look forward to this time of year -- more than any other.

It's a time filled with memories and smells, traditions and food, family and friends.  It also is filled with lots of romance, and for a romance writer, it's my favorite time of year.  More so than Valentines.  So, keep lots of notes of the interactions you observe -- you'll never know when you'll need it for a story.

Have a great week!

No comments: