Friday, April 15, 2011

Real Life or Imitation?

by G.Parker


Many writers take their inspiration from real life.  I think I've commented on that before, how many of my stories have real people as the inspiration for my characters.  Sometimes I used real events in my stories, and I discovered this week in my critique group that others do this too.  What's interesting is that sometimes what we think is a hilarious story doesn't seem to come across that way on paper.  Unfortunately reality has to be vamped up a little for fiction.  Strange how that happens.


Also, sometimes movies or books are inspired by real happenings, and we love to see those - at least I do - in the movies.  A co-worker of mine told me of an experience in her family that has 'great read' written all over it.  I'm thinking I'll have to use it in a story, I just haven't wrapped the fiction around the reality yet.  This isn't the first time I've wanted to write someone's reality into my fiction world.  It happens a lot when you are a people watcher.  Usually it's just a small situation that  you think will add to a current story, or would be a good character involvement.  But once in a while it's a whole complete plot that you have enough to build a story out of.

What do you see going on around you?  What is reality or fiction to you?  I guess we'll see the next time we pick up a novel.

No comments: