Friday, August 05, 2011

Stalling Out

by G.Parker


I've been working on a story that I wrote for NaNoWriMo last year.  I thought I had it all figured out, but this past month, it's totally stalled out.  I don't know where to go with it.  I mean, I could just finish it, but I want it to have a little more depth than it has.  My critique group have told me it needs something.  They are hoping there's more to what they've read so far.
I'm afraid there isn't.  It's like the characters have gone on vacation and forgot to tell me they'd be gone for a while.  Don't you hate it when your muse takes off and doesn't tell you?  I've heard it said that such things are writers block.  I read somewhere once that an author said there is no such thing.  If you can write, you dont' have writers block.  You write until things start coming.
Unfortunately, if the plot has stalled, there's not much you can do with it, right?  I'm not sure.  I am working on a couple of things, so perhaps I'm just too distracted by the other characters or items to focus on the one I'm trying to finish.  Sigh.
Keith's blog on Saturday was on filling the holes.  I thought that was a very apt subject for what's happening in my story right now.  There are holes in my plot, and that's what I'm struggling with.  I thought perhaps if I reworked or reviewed the main idea I'd had, I could rework it, bring out the plot that I'm looking for.  Unfortunately, I can't find the original idea for the story line.  Figures.
Well, I guess I'll just have to continue plugging away at it until something clicks.  I might have to do a mad write and see if inspiration comes.
What do you do when it seems like your story has stalled?  I'd like to know.

No comments: