Thursday, November 08, 2012

NaNo Not Me

Every year I wish to do NaNoWriMo. Every year, I don't. It's just bad timing.

But that's something I want to talk about "timing". See, there are a lot of people who do NaNo and schedule their lives so that they can accomplish this awesometastic task. I envy them. For me, I have month end/financials the first week of the month at work, followed by the possibility of staying late at work getting budgets ready. This doesn't mean I can't find time to write.

Like blogging. I've been lousy at it in 2012. My own personal blog has been a disaster. I blog at Mormon Geeks and haven't done well at that since my 3rd child was born.

But this Sunday during priesthood (as it was wrapping up), I jotted down a To Do list on my Nook. It was quite ambitious. But I put on there all the things I'd like to do this week. And my goal is to update the list next Sunday. I have two books I'm writing right now and a third that I should be revising (I just don't have the heart to destroy that book further and maybe it'll have to sit in oblivion for now.) My goal this week is to just write a chapter for each this week. I have my chapter for critique group ready but knowing where the story is heading more will be good. And on my other book (a novella), it's more being written "for fun" than anything and will most likely be my first book as I intend to digitally self-publish it. Still, I want self-imposed deadlines to give myself achievable goals.

I'd love to see my YA Sci-Fi finished with its first draft by the end of the year. That will require a lot on my part. So it's about finding the time to write.

Speaking of finding the time, I'd love my novella (I'm going to call it general contemporary fiction) to be done by the end of the year as well. But, I'm just gonna take it one week at a time and one day at a time.

I wish all you NaNoers luck. And those who aren't, I'm sure you have plenty of writing related things going on to keep you busy this month too.

Alien abductions are involuntary, but probings are scheduled.

No comments: