Friday, November 09, 2012

Week 2, Day 9

by G.Parker

Welcome to the crazy world of writing, where each person is unique in style and desire.  Each of us that writes on this blog write's something different.  Some of us write adventure/fantasy, some write romance and some write mystery.   It's a great combination that makes for variety.

We humans seem to thrive on variety, though there are times when I think there's a bit too much to choose...lol

Anyway - here we are in week two, day nine.  Are you where you wanted to be?  Are you getting your writing in every day?  My three participants are doing various levels of achievement.  My youngest is happy that he's reached 5,000 words, and I don't think he's really going to get close to 50,000.  My oldest is trying to get to 20,000 this weekend, but she works 12 hour days and doesn't get a lot of writing in on her days off.  She tries to do mega words on Mondays and Tuesdays.  I'm meeting my goals, so far.  I will be at 25,000 words by the end of the day, which makes me happy.  

I have a son-in-law who wants to be a fantasy writer.  He asked me to read some of his stuff the other day and give him my opinion.  I told him what I thought, and asked him if he was going to participate in NaNoWriMo.  (Big surprise)  He said no.  He felt that they promoted the word count, and not the quality.  He claims someone could just sit and type 50,000 words with "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog."  He has a point.  If someone wasn't really picky about how they earned the certificate that we get doing NaNo, then yeah, you could write whatever you wanted.  You could write the word 'stupid' 50,000 times.  It wouldn't mean you were a writer, but you would be the only one that knew.

I could see his point, but I also pointed out that the quality and skills come later.  For some people you just need to start getting the words down on paper, and then you can learn how to do it right.  He's also trying to write with a two year old running through the house and several different people living with them.  I didn't write for the first ten years of my marriage as there was simply too many other things that needed my attention.  (Like seven children...)

So, hopefully you are meeting your writing goals, and making that time slot every day.  It will come.  It's just one word after another...

1 comment:

Tammy Theriault said...

great to see people writing so much! very inspiring!