Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Traditional versus Self in the publishing world. And why can't we all just get along?

by C. Michelle Jefferies

Don't read this wrong. I support both traditional and self publishing. I have many books on my book shelves that are amazing. Some are trad some are self.

Just today I was accused of thinking that everything that is self published is trash and that I am a snob because I am traditionally published. They couldn't be more wrong.

I have many many author friends. Some are self published some traditional.  Regardless of how they are getting their words seen, I love them and support them.

If I can be accused of being a snob about anything. It would be in the fact that any work that is worth getting out there for others to read, needs to be pretty darn close to perfect.

This is why I am vocal about some voices in the self published world. They run around the internet saying that the traditional publishing industry is evil and that self publishing is the ONLY way to go. That all you need to do is write a book and slap it on KDP and become famous and rich. (if only it worked that way)

You see, in my opinion writing is an ART. And like any other art like music, acting, visual art, and photography, becoming good enough to be heard, seen etc and to get paid for it, it requires training, practice, and skills.  If you want readers to enjoy your book and come back for a second and third book it needs to be good. It needs to be edited and the story needs to be plausible and understandable.

How do we create good books?

Time to learn how to write, and lots of practice.

I can guarantee you that most (prodigy excluded) artists or musicians or actors (et all) didn't just step into their desired art untrained or unpracticed and start cranking in the big bucks. It just doesn't happen.

While I am an passable visual artist and an average seamstress, as well as a published author. I would never attempt to sell my clothes or artwork thinking I am as good as someone who has spent their lives training in that world. I have however, spent years writing and practicing to become published.

Perhaps we traditional authors according to self published authors seem snobbish. Maybe the self published authors according to the traditional published authors seem to have a chip on their shoulders.

Maybe if everyone understood were all in this together and that the ART of being an author is worth the time and years it takes to become publishable there wouldn't be this huge divide between us.

The path to wisdom is not always straight~

No comments: