Friday, June 21, 2013


by G.Parker

Okay - last week I talked a little about using a thesaurus and the idea of multiple words with same meanings.  I thought I'd continue the discussion, with an emphasis on the different types of words...or what it's called.  For those of you who are like me and didn't get much out of your high school english class, or your college courses that you were required to take, I thought this would be an interesting subject.

I always just look at a thesaurus when I'm trying to find a specific word for something or another word for something.   It doesn't really matter to me that they are called different things.  But, I thought it was worth mentioning, so here you go. (I got these from wikipedia, so they get the

Synonyms are words with the same or similar meanings.  This would be the words I used last week as examples.

Antonyms are words with opposite or nearly opposite meanings.  I think that's odd...I'll have to think of the words for this.  My brain isn't quite up to that yet today.

Homonyms are words that have the same pronunciation and spelling, but have different meanings.  That would be the one most common in the english language.  One of the things that drives those who come here from other countries crazy.  Personally I like teasing people with those kind of words.  

What words do you use most in your writing?  When you are looking things up in a thesaurus, do you note as to which type of word it is?  I'm thinking I'll be doing that for the next little while.  Perhaps it will drill those words into my

Have  good one.

No comments: