Saturday, June 15, 2013

Who is that Old Guy, Anyway?

By Keith N Fisher

I keep thinking about my life before the "old guy", kidnapped my body. In those days, I maintained my garden with ease, and didn’t grunt when I moved. I had hair. I see that "old guy" in my mirror a lot and I wonder who invited him into the room.

One of these days I’m going to grab him by the throat and force that old guy to give back what he stole from me.

I was thinking of posting this on Facebook and realized there’s a blog post in there. Life is grand. There is sadness in seeing others face the trials you once had, but there is joy in seeing them overcome.

This has been the season of reinvention in my life. I’m forced to analyze and find a new path to follow. I remember doing the same thing at eighteen, when I realized it was time to grow up. High school was behind me and I would have to go to work every day, for the rest of my life.

It’s also been a time of great celebration for my friends who’ve gotten books published. There is a lot of joy in seeing them overcome adversity and achieve their goals. I’m finishing my cookbook at a publisher’s request.

Speaking of which, It’s been both a pain, and a joy. During all those years of Dutch oven competition, I thought I’d written my recipes in the same format. I discovered I was wrong. Also, I’ve lost copies and just never got around to writing some of them down.

My writing time these days is spent reformatting and remembering recipes. I’m also inventing new dishes, but I’ve come to realize, there’s a story behind each recipe. Both good and bad stories and I’ve been reliving both.

Through it all, I stare at that "old man" and curse him for stealing some of the good things in my life. Then, after I admit the "old man" is me, I think of all the blessings I’ve enjoyed. I’m grateful for the journey, and I’m excited to be on the road. I also notice that "old man" looks kind of wise. Well, at least he looks that way.

Good luck with your writing—see you next week.

1 comment:

Sri Budi Sukiyanto said...

Sip verry GOOD...thanks...