Friday, June 15, 2007

I'm Going to Be Famous!

by G.Parker

I was taking photographs of the paintings I have done and framed in my home, getting ready for them to be put on my website, and my daughter discovered me. She thought it was a bit strange and asked what I was doing. I told her I was going to be famous, which made her laugh.

After some thought, I realized that wasn't quite what I meant, and not a very humble approach. What I meant to say was that I'm going to be well known, (someday) and I want people to be able to see my work in hopes of seeking my skills or talents. I figured the best way to do that was create a website.

What I didn't realize was how picky I am, or how difficult it is to do that. I've got a site all set up (thanks to suggestions from my fellow bloggers) but I've been stalled for two weeks, realizing that I need examples and that it's going to take more work than just putting a site out there with my name on it.

Kind of like writing a book. It takes more work than putting words together, slapping on a cover, and signing your name to it. It needs to be something you are proud of -- that you would be happy to show anyone. Otherwise, it would be rather embarrassing -- "Oh - that, well, you really don't want to look at it, I didn't get to have any say on the cover, and the editing didn't go well, and..."

Meanwhile, I'm working on the writing and painting. It's a frustrating process, because there simply aren't enough hours in the day. But, I would recommend to all inspiring authors to prepare a site much like my fellow writers and bloggers have. They were an inspiration to me and I'm thankful to be able to rub elbows with them.

I just hope some of their skill rubs off on me.

No comments: