Friday, November 05, 2010

It's a Numbers Game

by G.Parker

If your whole focus in life is a number, then you're priorities are probably out of whack, right?  Well, perhaps, unless you're doing Nano.  Since the whole point of NaNoWriMo is the end number, it's the one time during your writing career that you are focusing solely on the numbers at the end of the day.  

Since I don't write on Sundays, that cuts out about 4 days of writing right there.  As I take Thanksgiving day off, that's another one.  If you divide 50,000 by 30, you get 1667 words a day.  If you don't write some of those days, that number goes up.  Like subtract 5 from 30, you get 25.  Divide 50,000 by 25 and you get 2000.  That's a pretty solid figure. 

Simply put, I  need to write 2000 words a day to make the goal of 50,000 words by November 30th.  It's actually pretty doable, I find it pretty easy to write that many words in a day.  For some reason, when I figured it out on Monday, it came up to a higher number, but that's okay, I'm still way within range.  My number as of this morning was 7317 words.  I'm a bit behind, but I haven't written for today and since tomorrow is Saturday I can catch up.  

How are you doing?  Run out of chocolate yet?

No comments: