Thursday, May 19, 2011

What would You Do?

by Cheri Chesley

Last week, I posted the raw feelings I had after finding out a close friend has breast cancer. Friday, she had a mastectomy. She went in to have her bandages removed Monday. Normally an intensely private person, she has allowed us in to share this journey with her. I'm so grateful for that; for her willingness to open up about something so difficult, so we can know to be there and comfort her and help in all the ways we can.

This has hit me so close to home--right in the heart. I'm tearing up as I type this post. It's like I dodged a cosmic bullet--because this could just as easily have been me--but why did it hit my friend instead?

I've made a practice in my life not to ask the "why me" question. It's pointless, and in its way, destructive. But, now, I find myself asking "Why her?"

Because I hate to feel helpless, and I wanted to find a way to help, I came up with a plan. Check out my personal BLOG to see how you can help Rebecca, too. And share. The more people who know, the more who can help. Thanks.

No comments: