Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Balancing Act

by C. LaRene Hall




I often wonder how other writers balance their life. Some have small children. Some like me work out of the home. Most have millions of things that require their attention every day. I have taught many time management classes and I know what you need to do but that doesn't mean I can always do what is necessary to make my life less chaotic.

I'm planning my launch party for my next book. One thing that I know that is very necessary is marketing. I wish I had an excellent plan. I know #1 should be promoting myself. For me that is not going to be easy. I hate talking about myself.

Next I think I should offer something free that goes with a book purchase. I have that one taken care of - a book bag they can carry their book in as well as other treasures.

Then I guess I should have interviews, at least that's what I hear. I'm not famous - why would any one want to interview me?

The next thing I see on the list is speaking to groups. I'm okay with that. I love teaching and talking about my book would be something I would love to do. After all, it's my baby. The big question is what group would want to hear from me?

The timing should be right. Pay attention to trends, and issues around you. Is this the right time to release your book or should you wait? I think I've waited long enough and believe there is no time like now.

The last thing on my list is to be passionate. I am so excited about my book and the illustrations that I can hardly contain myself. Is that good enough?

If anyone has any good marketing ideas, you are welcome to post them here.

Besides marketing there is networking. That is something I fall short at. I never find enough time to network.

Here are some of the things I have found.

First thing is to help other people by understanding their needs. It doesn't matter how many people you know if they are the right people. You shouldn't expect anything in return from them. Create a list of people you want to contact. Go outside your comfort zone.

I guess you need to decide how much time you are going to devote to networking. Remember people are busy. Offer compliments and keep it short. Begin by focusing on what you can do to help them. Try to contact at least one new person a day. Network with the intention of helping someone else, not yourself.

Networking is more about listening to the other person. Volunteer. Working with someone is the best way to develop a relationship. Remember email is quick and simple.

Now, how do I begin? Any suggestions?




No comments: