Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The details of detail

by C. Michelle Jefferies

While I have thought about what to write about, my thoughts have repeatedly wandered back to Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.  I just finished it a few weeks ago and am enamored with it.

What I liked about it:
The deep southern charm of it. The cooking, the rythms of southern life, the weather, the accent.
The deeper world of the Casters. Their traditions and lives. How intertwined the human and Caster world is.
The library(s)
The areas relationship to the Civil War. Both Human and Caster
The magic system

What I didn't like about it:
I felt the ending went too fast and I wanted more.

While detail isn't everyting to a story, it makes the characters, plot, and conflict more interesting. I am one writer that believes that we need to make at least one edit round purely for detail oriented issues.

I hope one day to write a book as deep in amazing details as Beautiful Creatures is.

The path to wisdom is not always straight

No comments: