Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Keep Going!

by C. Michelle Jefferies

This coming Saturday I will be teaching a class on "The Power of Persistence". I will be at the First Anual Mesquite Book Festival. If your in the area come and say hi. I'd love to meet some of our readers.

Persistence is an interesting thing, while it is not being stubborn it is the ability to focus and dedicate yourself to a goal or task.

Writing to be published takes persistence. I often hear that the difference between published and not is persistence.

I have to agree, it took me over five years and 44 rejections to find a home for Emergence.

To be persistent is to set goals and be able to not only break them down but approach them in a way that they are achievable. To look at being a writer one day, one month, one book, or chapter at a time.  It takes the ability to face and admit failure sometimes. To delete a word, chapter, or scene, or even to scrap a whole book or theme in a manuscript.

I can tell you that persistence does work. I know friends who are getting contracts and seeing their books coming out and they are just like me years of practice, and enough rejections to paper a table.

To those who aspire, hang in there, it'll happen.

The path to wisdom is not always straight

No comments: