Saturday, January 17, 2015

Specters of the Past



By Keith N Fisher
The LDS Writer's Block Honor Roll

With the recent Blogck reboot, I took a moment to review. Of course (moment) is not the right word. In almost nine years, the LDS Writer’s Blogck has accumulated a vast library of blog posts as you might well imagine.

We are approaching nine years on the web and as the anniversary approaches, it’s good to reflect. The Blogck was the brainchild of several Authors Incognito Members and the first post was by Cindy (CL) Beck, on 21 April 2006. The link is, in this place but here is a part of that post,

You wouldn’t think it would be hard for eight writers to pick a name for a blogging group, would you?

We thought of Writers’ Block, and Authors at Large . . .

Authors with Bushy Eyebrows and Hairy Ears, or Writers That Right Butt Can’t Spel.

After spending several days pondering the options—okay, maybe it was really only hours—our editor/moderator/wiz guy (Darvel) came up with an idea. He suggested we call ourselves Seven LDS Writers and a Dog.

. . . we found out the title was a play on words from another blogging page, and our wiz guy was just poking fun.


For me, the anniversary won’t be until June. I came later, and as I rediscovered, so did many others. I had forgotten all of the bloggers who’ve graced our pages with their great words.

Many of our regulars have gone forward to reach wonderful heights. We’ve had more guest bloggers than my limited mind can remember. I included a list that I call the honor roll. As you can see in the side bar, many of the first bloggers are coming back for a guest post spot.

While reading the wisdom from the past, I realized we repeated many of the titles. Even though the subjects were different. Many times one of us posted a title and later, another posted the same title. Some of those titles came back many times.

Also, as in my case, we sometimes revisited a subject with new insight. Even though themes were repeated by our fellow bloggers, there was always a fresh approach. A lot of us were obviously inspired by our fellow laborers.

I miss the insights of so many bloggers. Some were deep others were not. The extremely funny posts by CL Beck, and James Duckett. I miss the wisdom from the heart, by Nichole Giles, and others.

I’ve missed the gospel truths by C LeRene Hall. Others came later and followed in her footsteps when the posted on Sunday. Connie also posted about her vacations and made us all wish we were there. Since there were so many regulars, I shouldn’t try to list all the exploits. Some bloggers came, shared jewels of wisdom, and left like a shadow.

Some of us did book reviews and interviews. Others quoted conference presenters. I think one of those incurred the wrath of conference promoters when they published the notes verbatim, but I was never sure.

I don’t remember who replaced whom, but it really doesn’t matter. Everyone played a part so it makes no difference how long any writer was on the Blogck. 

The guest bloggers always had welcome insights. I am a better writer because of the advice shared on these pages, and I an honored to have been part of it. All in all, I think it has been worthwhile. Many a reader posted comments, thanking us for helping them on their journey.

As I said in the re-launch, when we started, we weren’t alone posting about writing, but we were in an exclusive minority. With blogs like Six LDS Writer’s and A Frog, and LDS Publisher, we were in good company. My old person’s memory won’t allow me to list them all, but some blogs were about book reviews, and some were national market heroes. Like the others did for us, I hope we helped show other writers how to blog.

In those days, the blog was new and necessary in order to promote your writing, but as all fads do, the blog as a promotion tool, went by the wayside. Many, perhaps, most writers now have a blog. With social media and other pursuits, blogs go unread, and I suppose that’s as it should be.

When I pour through our archives, I see how writers, (myself included), improved their craft. That is perhaps the best lesson you could glean from our pages. Take a minute or many hours and read those archives. You might find treasures.

When you meet a former Blogck writer at writer’s conferences and book launches, take a moment to thank them. Like the pioneers of LDS fiction, they are the specters of the past. They were paying it forward, trying to help others in the writer’s quest.

In a coming day, I too, will be gone from these pages. With Wendy’s return, and her fervor, the Blogck will continue. I will move on, but until then, I will keep offering my tainted wisdom.

Good luck with your writing—see you next week.


1 comment:

Tristi Pinkston said...

What a great history - and legacy!