Friday, June 28, 2013

It's On a Shirt!

by G.Parker

Okay, I have to tell you, the funniest thing happened to me this week!  I've been on vacation with my hubby, and we happened across a little independent bookstore with some t-shirts for sale.  Since they were exactly what I'd been talking about last week, I had to take a picture!!

and then I found this one:

I thought this one was hilarious because I love the word ambiguity, and I thought the twist on Vegas was great.  

Anyway, I also bring up the independent bookstore because they had a sign posted in the re-sale book section that said - If you like independent bookstores, don't purchase a Kindle - because it's an Amazon only publishing.  If you want to support independent publishers, writers and bookstores, it's best to purchase an ebook reader that supports many formats.  

I thought that was interesting and notable.  I personally have published an ebook through Smashwords and it develops the book in ALL ebook formats so that anyone can purchase and download it.  Once I read this little sign, I felt much better about that effort.  It reminds me of big business and the small businessman.  It very much reminds me of the move You've Got Mail.

Don't get me wrong, I happen to like the big book stores, because I can invariably find something I can afford there.  I only wish I could find more of the independent ones, because they are a dying breed.  The only independent in my hometown is a small buy/trade store.  Used to be you could find a bookstore every town you went.

My husband and I used to have a dream of opening our own little bookstore with a cafe attached that sold Postum and hot chocolate with your choice of flavorings.  ;)  We'd still like to, but that's another matter.  The point was to create a place where someone could come and browse and read and have a moment of peace.

Those days are long going the way of the dodo, and I hope that when my grandchildren get old enough to read there is something left for them.

Until then, remember - what starts out as vagueness, stays as vagueness, lol.

1 comment:

Weston Elliott said...

Oh, I want one of each!!!